Fun Facts About Steel
Steel is one of the most diverse and useful materials available today. It’s used in a variety of settings and can serve in a number of capacities. Steel also has plenty of competition on the market today. Wood, metal composites, and Fiber Reinforced Plastics are also excellent building material options, depending on the application. But by and large, structural steel truly is one of the most efficient, dependable, choices around. If you’re looking for a tad more information to help convince you why steel is so great, here are twelve facts you need to know about steel that could help you make up your mind.
- Recycling and Steel go hand-in-hand. Steel makes up the largest percentage (69%) of recycled material in the United States each year, more than all other recycled materials combined. According to the Steel Recycling Institute, it’s estimated that more than 48 million tons (and counting) of steel have been recycled since January 2016.
- Steel is great for the environment. Steel is an exceptionally eco-friendly option for industrial and commercial applications. Because of its metallurgic properties, steel can be recycled over and over again without compromising its performance. Studies show that nearly all steel applications, from automobiles and appliances to steel packaging, are recycled. When consumers purchase steel, they are almost always purchasing a recycled product.
- Philanthropy is important within the steel industry. Ever since the nation’s first Earth Day in 1970, steel companies have invested more than $7.5billion in capital equipment for the control of water and air pollution, and the treatment of solid waste.
- Steel has superpowered strength, so it’s not a coincidence that Superman was nicknamed, “The Man of Steel.” Steel is so durable that it’s used inside car doors to provide reinforcement and keep passengers safe in the event of a side-impact collision.
- Steel parts manufactured today are more dent-resistant and are up to 30% stronger when compared to those manufactured a decade ago.
- The resulting by-products from steel manufacturing are useful in the process of manufacturing other metals, like zinc and others.
- Steel is the perfect structural material for construction of many types. Steel frames are completely resistant to termites and won’t crack, warp, twist, rot, split or settle.
- Steel is an excellent material for food storage. It is the most tamper-resistant option for food packaging, ensuring that food packaged inside remains fresh, nutritional, and safe. You can be confident that packaged food will not spoil when it’s sealed inside a steel can.
- Steel is extremely versatile, and is a key material in nearly every major industry today. These include, but are not limited to: construction, automotive and transportation, energy, machinery, and packaging.
- Steel is the perfect material to use for doors. Steel is one of the leading materials used for fireproof and bulletproof doors, and is commonly used in schools, stores, and commercial or industrial buildings. Steel doors can even have added security measures added to make them chemical-resistant as well.Steel is a superior choice for exterior doors because it is impervious to rust, cracking, and bowing. It will hold up exceptionally well against harsh weather conditions. Any time a building houses valuable and precious content inside, steel doors are an ideal solution to help keep that content safe and secure.
- Steel is highly adaptable and easily formed. Steel is not limited to a narrow field of uses and formations. Architects and steel manufacturers can create steel forms in virtually any shape, design, size, or span length imaginable.
- The U.S.S. New York is a military battleship constructed out of salvaged steel from the World Trade Center. The amphibious transport dock ship was commissioned in 2009 and contains 7.5 tons of steel from the fallen towers. It has the capacity to house up to 700 Marines.
For over 60 years, the skilled machinists at Swanton Welding have been perfecting the art of metal fabrication. No matter the complexity of a fabrication job, we can handle it with precision and ease. With short lead times, emergency fabrication capabilities and exceptional service, our customers have complete assurance that we can complete the work you need done without a hitch. Contact our offices today or fill out a request online for a free estimate.